Question
Posted by: concerned | 2008/09/10

Should I be worried?

I' ve had the mirena inserted 3 years ago because the pill didn' t work well with me and I suffered from very heavy periods. I' m in my mid-twenties and haven' t been pregnant. I haven' t had a period for more than 2 years, until now. My hubby and I were away the weekend and maybe a bit more active than usual, could that have moved it and caused the bleeding? As I said it was never a problem before so I can' t think how it could' ve suddenly changed. I still feel the strings so I do believe it' s still in but maybe it moved?

It' s not very heavy bleeding (don' t have to use a tampon) but enough for me to notice. It' s been like this the past 2 days. I also feel discomfort like the beginnings of period pains, I don' t know how else to explain it. Is this concern enough for me to make an appointment with my gynea?

Dear Concerned
Yes I think you should see your gyne - it may be a slight infection or an ulcer on the cervix. It is unlikely that it moved after 2 years.