Question
Posted by: Janet | 2011/01/27

Should I be upset? Ask for more?

It''s my fourth year at my current job. My annual increase was R800 nett, obviously much less after being heavily taxed. I don''t want to be ungrateful, really, but at the end of the day I feel this is an insult to me. This won''t cover the impending increases in my rent, elec, food, petrol, insurance, etc. They have bought a new company car and they have brought on two new staff members so I know they can afford more. This has made me feel under-valued, especially as I have a very important role in the company and I have put myself out there, looking for growth, etc. My boss hasn''t spoken to me yet- how do I ask for a bit more without sounding ungrateful and greedy?

I'm no expert in the area yopu're asking about, though I find there are many regular readers who are well-informed on such work issue.
Why not calmly speak to your boss, expressing disappointment, emphasizing the rising costs you face, and your concern that this may reflect some dissatisfaction on their part with your work ?

8
Posted by: Outsider | 2011/01/27

Everyone who has a job should in-fact be grateful and to those that got no increases it is an awful feeling however this should would have been set out in your contract of employment regarding increases etc.

If your companies did however give increases to all staff which was not one set increase and on a performance basis etc. then yes I am certain that you are still happy you have a job, however if you feel you are worth more than the increase given to set your heart at peace then take it up further with your manager, if you have constructively worked at what will be discussed and after the meeting you either receive an additional increase amount even if you have not atleast you would know that you stood up for yourself and tried.

So yes I agree with those who say atleast you have a job - the fact still remains if your company gives increases then depending on how the increases were calculated across the board or performance based, you should can either choose to do something about it to set your heart at peace or do nothing about it and be unhappy so that the next year increase they may say yes but " your attitude was a problem during the year"  etc. and your increase is even less.

Tackle what you need to if you know you deserve it.

Reply to Outsider
Posted by: Romany | 2011/01/27

I too got nothing.
But I still have my job.
Times are hard at my employers so I will wait and see what happens next year.

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Outsider | 2011/01/27

Hi Janet,
One can become dis-hartened when you know you have put everything and more into your performance and when the time for increase comes you feel you are not recognised for all your efforts.

Perhaps you should take a day or two, and jot down a few things which are relevant to your position key functions etc. and your performance on these specifics, jot down if you have saved the company money or have retained any clients business etc.

Then, once you are confident that you have constructively put something together and you have a fairly good relationship with your manager you should possibly ask her if you can see her for ten minutes to discuss your increase. Or maybe you should draft an email and ask for ten minutes of her/his time.

You should start off by saying, you would like to thank the company for the current increase and you are grateful for the increase however you are disappointed that all your " efforts"  which you have already carefully jotted down have gone un-recognised.

Then, once you sit down with your manager be honest and do not feel shy and embarrased you are fighting your own fight here, go through the notes you made with him/her and explain and justify the points the positive and negatives etc. you made if they are valid then in ending off your meeting you can possibly say that you would like for your manager to discuss it with human resources and or senior management to re-negotiate the increase.

You may be pleasantly surprised of the outcome if you deal with this in the correct manor.

Do not go in without a plan of what you are justifying etc. Make sure you are prepared, that way they will take you seriously.

Always face obstacles that are carefully thought out. When ever there is a problem never go into your manager''s office with the problem only - ALWAYS HAVE A SOLUTION READY TO THE PROBLEM.

GOOD LUCK

Reply to Outsider
Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2011/01/27

It depends on how much your slary is. the usual increase is between 6 and 7%.

I didn''t get anything.

Reply to Vrye Denker
Posted by: ABC | 2011/01/27

Some people got retrenched. I say be grateful and hope that your next increase would be better!

Reply to ABC
Posted by: Gogo | 2011/01/27

yours its better mine was R600 nett

Reply to Gogo
Posted by: Me | 2011/01/27

Hey Janet, tell him, or spread the roomer, that you would be going for an interview next week. That will put fire under his arse!
Good luck.

Reply to Me