Posted by: Claire | 2012-05-12

Should I be concerned?

My 12 year old son has been displaying symtoms of a mild cold since last night, very slight fever sore throat etc. This would normally not worry me as he gets this from time to time due to having allergies but he also has sore shoulders and neck muscles. This is probably due to the fact that at school yesterday he helped move some stuff for a event today as he is a prefect and did alot of lifting and carrying. But I am a bit paranoid about meningitis as my mom almost died from it. So the combination of sore neck and cold worry me a bit. I did call a doctor and she said without any real other symptoms its unlikely to be anything serious but if I was worried I could bring him to emergency room. I remember when my mom was sick she had extreme headache, vomiting and was unresponsive. He is alert, eating, very slight fever(37) etc. lf it wasnt for the neck which is most likely due to the lifting I wouldnt be concerned at all. Just would .like an opinion if I should take this more seriously. Thanks

I do not think that you have to be concerned about meningitis, as he will have severe headaches, a very high fever, nausea, be sensitive to light and loud noise and have altered conciousness. You can however, do a simple test by letting him lie on his back and stretch his leg. If he does have meningitis, he will experience extreme back pain. He will also not be able to touch his chest with his chin. If he is unable to do this, I suggest that you immediately consult a doctor for tests.