Question
Posted by: Vincent | 2011/04/18

should I

I have been prescribed zyprexa, but Im not schitzophrenic or bipolar. Honestly Im too scared to take it. Can it possibly help with a anxiety disorder. SSRI''s I have found to be useless, perhaps making things worse. Effexor helps a bit with mood but doesnt prevent panic attacks much.

Your psychiatrist had no business prescribing ANY drug to you without explaining what it was and why he recommended it. He quite probably did, but you might have been too nervous to absorb and understand what he was saying ( and some doc's talk in far too hifalutin a manner ). It is absolutely a part of any doc's duty to explain their advice and choice of recommended medications.
And this is a drug which can be useful in a number of conditions, but is not one I would expect to be used by a GP without the advice o a specialist psychiatrist.
Effexor is an antidepressant, and not one, in my experience useful in marked anxiety ( though different ADs might be ). From the sound of it, if your anxiety symptoms have been resistant to other meds like SSRI's which often help, its understandable that your shrink might consider trying Zyprexa for possible benefits - it might help, and should not cause further problems. There's no need to feel scared, but PLEASE discuss it with your shrink, for understanding and reassurance. Ask also about the availability of CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which can be very effective in helping you to control your anxiety, apart from any drug benefits.

1