Question

Should I ?

Hi ther,
Ive previously had a failed IVF/ICSI at your facility. Is it advisable for me to try another IVF at my age? Im 40yrs.
Thanks!

Dear Anon

The general success rate of in-vitro fertilizations at clinic that are producing good results would give you a success rate of between 40 – 45% in achieving a pregnancy. This success rate however is much less in women at the age of 40. There are several reasons for this mainly being oocyte quality and therefore embryo quality. Therefore the success rate of a 40 year old in an IVF cycle would be less. The reasons why most people either will not continue and IVF cycle would either be due to emotional stress or financial stress. I would advise you to come see us at our facility so that we can discuss whether trying for another cycle would be feasible or not and that would be dependent on how your previous cycle has gone through.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

2
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2009/10/21

Dear Anon

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: P | 2009/10/14

Hi. I would think it depends on the reason for the failed IVF. Did the fetus have abnormalities, or (as in my case) i had a missed miscarriage at about 9 weeks after IVF, and test results showed no fetal abnormalities, but i may have a vaginal infection (or a tooth problem apparently). In this case, i am going to try again as i can take antibiotics if an infection is found.

Reply to P