Question
Posted by: Onicca | 2012/01/17

Shoul I disclose my HIV status

I am HIV positive and I might start to get sick should I tell my boss? I have been positive for 10 years now I am 33 years

Maybe you'll get more useful and experienced responses if you post this question on our HIV forum. IF you have been positive for 33 years without significant problems, it sounds as though your condition is stable under treatment. Why, I wonder, are you thinking about whether to tell your boss NOW, rather than earlier ? Is it because for some reason you antidipate health problems arising soon, and wonder how he would deal with it ?
The HIV forum can probably tell you things I don't know, about the legal and work-regulatory issues of disclosing versus not disclosing HIV status. You may want a legal opinion from one of the many groups which advise HIV positive people

2
Posted by: Pale | 2012/01/17

I do not see the necessity of disclosing to your boss unless you are already sick or just started a new job.
Why everybody thinks it is an obligation to tell is beyond me to tell the truth. I guess I just don''t understand. My advice, think of it as high blood pressure or asthma or any other... Personally would you go to your boss to tell them you suffer from it? If the answer is yes then I say better then tell him coz it''s about how you feel about it after all.
But I think only if you are sick, there''s still a stigma attached to HIV and you can never know how mature your boss is regarding it.

Reply to Pale