Question
Posted by: TK | 2009-01-13

Short time question

We have received notice that from this week we will only be working four day weeks, Mo-Th, and not five days as per our permanent contracts. I do not belong to a bargaining council, and you said that we can negotiate with them, they cannot unilaterally dediced to implement short time. Does this mean that we can negotiate a shorter notice period, etc. and what else do you mean can we negotiate about, not to have short time?

Also, we work only 6.5 hours on a Friday, whereas we work 8 hours each day the rest of the week. Now we can put in leave until our leave is used up, but putting in a whole day means we loose 1.5 hours of our leave, as we would not have worked it anyway. So do I have grounds to stand on not to put in a full days leave and rather put in 6.5 hours, so my accumulated leave will last longer?

TK

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: SHORT TIME

Short time must be negotiated, it can be made even shorter. This is often used as an alternative to retrenchment.

You don't belong to a Bargaining Council but they have rules and regulations within Bargaining Councils agreements that govern the short time. You can refuse to request leave.