Question
Posted by: Shelby | 2010/02/08

Short term memory loss

Hi Doc,

My Mum is 59 and struggles to remember her house address but remembers throwing food to the dog whilst in her high chair.

What is this and can it be cured?

She was diagnosed with Paranoia 10 years ago as she thought she was being followed and there were cameras everywhere watching her. Still today, she talks of the spies watching her.

Thanks.

Its typical of memory that our longest entrenched memories thend to stick around longest. So in someone with Dementia, they may remember and enjoy the songs they sang when young, and not remember where they are.
There can be various causes for some degree of memory loss as one grows older, and a careful assessment by a psychiatrist or neurolosit may be valuable in the early stages. Some causes or contributing factors, such as some specific vitamin deficiencies, can be relieved with great improvement. Even with Alzheimer's, there are now some drugs which alter the brain chemistry in a useful way, and though it in no way "cures" Alzheimer's, it very usefully can delay the onset o serious symptoms.
Her Paranoia could be relevant, so a Psychiatrist could best to do such an assessment

2
Posted by: Liza | 2010/02/08

If short term memory loss could be cured, I' d be first in line for the cure. She is getting old. And even though short-term memory loss is not the sole province of older people (try asking me what I had for breakfast this morning!) with the Paranoia, her brain just isn' t functioning as well as it was when she was younger. My dad suffered from severe short-term memory loss when he was only 55. Perhaps she needs to see a shrink for a proper assessment. There are drugs on the market that cause the brain to receive more oxygen, which could perhaps help.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza