Posted by: Kate | 2009-05-19

Short Cycle - reason to worry?

HI doctor,
I' ve been tracking my cycle and it seems my cycles are very short - sometimes even 23 days. My luteal phase seems to be around 11 days. Does this warrant a visit to my gini before we start TTCing, or should I wait a bit?

Dear Kate

If your cycles are regular and occur every 23 days then usually you should not be of any concern. You are probably just ovulating earlier than normal. In a normal regular menstrual cycle the Luteal phase is consistent at 14 days but the proliferative phase is shortened. I think there is no need to worry at this stage and you should try to conceive first and if you still do not conceive then visit your gynaecologist.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo