Posted by: Desire | 2009-01-13

I quit soccer after experiencing short breath after running fast during the games. It happens every time when I am playing and I have been to the clinic but nothing has helped so far, what could be the cause? I have checked my blood pressure, lung x-rays, I don' t know if I was clear enough about my situation to the health professionals but I experienced a painfully dry throat, I have to stop and catch my breath first. When I am jogging at a constant pace gradually increasing it I do not experience problems at all provided I slow down when I am tired.

Hi Desire

If you've been to a clinic, I assume they did an exercise induced asthma test? That's a test where you check how well you can breathe after doing a little bit of exercise. I think that might be something to consider.

Otherwise, it might be a simple question of gradually adapting your body to the higher intensity of running. I don't mean to trivialise here, but it's not unusual to experience severe shortage of breath, especially after a bit of a lay off. If it's definitely not this, then I would suggest bringing up the possibility that you have exercise induced asthma.