Question
Posted by: girlies | 2009-01-26

short breath

Doc,
What causes short breath and how can it be cured, My sister is in hospital and the doctors say she got water in her body and it being drained every day. What kind of sickness is this?

Tx

Hi Girlies
this is often caused by heart failure (because the heart can not pump properly the lungs get flooded with body fluids) or due to infections like pneumonia or TB (fluid accumulates around the lung - this is called pleural effusion)
Some lung cancers can also cause such symptoms. Ask the sister in the ward to explain to you exactly what her diagnosis is?

1

My mom has travelled to visit my brother in the uk a week ago, she has now been admitted into hospital with fluid around the heart, what is the success rate of recovery and what can be done. very worried being so far away, she is 54 years old. What is the success rate of recovery and what can be done and what does the treatment involve. Very worried being so far away, please respond. South Africa