Question
Posted by: really need help | 2011/04/05

shopiholic husband

we are married in community of property and he earns a huge salary and he buys cars and things without me having to co-sign because the bank does not see him as a risk. he is arrogant and no one can tell him anything. my husband is accumalating all this debt and I have no say in it. If something happens to him then will his debt be my responsibility? i had to bag him last year to also sign because i wanted to buy a car. I feel regardless of his salary the same rule should apply to him when married in community of property. if 50% of his debt is my responsibily one day, then i should have a legal say in it . please advice.

Expert ImageFamily law expert

You assume half of all the debt that he makes. 'In community of property' means that everything the couple own, and their debts, from before their marriage are put together in a joint estate. And everything they earn or buy after their marriage is also part of this joint estate.

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Cape Town
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: www.divorceattorney.co.za
Twitter: www.twitter.com/edivorce
Facebook: www.facebook.com/divorceattorneys

2
Posted by: family law expert | 2011/04/17

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Cape Town
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: www.divorceattorney.co.za
Twitter: www.twitter.com/edivorce

Reply to family law expert
Posted by: Tasmin | 2011/04/05

shame I feel sorry for you, he sounds like my sister''s ex husband . . . he was like that until he lost his job and that tought him a very good lesson . . good luck

Reply to Tasmin