Posted by: Pixie | 2010-03-31

Shooting pains

Hi there.
I''ve been on a healthy eating plan for a couple of weeks and have started losing some weight but since about 2 days ago I''ve been having slight shooting pains around my sides and in my tummy. It''s not unbearable pain but it is a bit uncomfortable. I''m just wondering, could these pains be due to the weightloss? Like my body contracting or something? I know it sounds like a silly question :)

Dear Pixie
I don't think the shooting pains you experience are due to weightloss or contraction of your body. You could be suffering from bloating if you have suddenly changed your diet and your new diet contains a large amount of dietary fibre. If this is the case then reduce the fibre content and then add high-fibre foods one at a time over a few days or weeks to give your digestive tract a chance to adapt to the higher fibre load. If the pains continue then please have a medical checkup just to make sure that you don't have an underlying medical condition (irritable bowel syndrome, gallbladder problems, ulcers, etc).
Good luck with the healthy eating plan