Question
Posted by: fatima | 2012/08/16

shoes for baby

Hi, I have an 11 month old baby who is walking. Do you recommend any good brand or make of shoe that is suitable for a baby''s delicate feet? thank you

Expert ImagePodiatrist

Children should be allowed to run around in bare feet as much as possible, which is much easier for them than their peers in the northern hemisphere. “Children should only wear shoes when they are in public places such as shopping centres or school, or for protection against the elements. By walking and running around barefoot on grass and sand, and by climbing jungle gyms and trees, children are able to exercise the intrinsic muscles of their feet and legs, which will stand them in good stead as they get older.”

Fitting footwear for your child

• Children should have their feet measured every three months.
• There should be a thumb’s width between the end of the shoe and the end of the longest toe.
• The sole of the shoe should be relatively straight rather than curved.
• The shoe should preferably have laces, velcro or buckles and should hold the heel firmly in the back of the shoe and not allow the foot to slide forward.
• The shoe should be flexible across the ball of the foot while the heel counter should be firm and stable.
• Leather and canvas are a better material - they are more durable and breathe better than synthetic and plastic shoes.
• Shoes should ideally have round toe boxes to give the toes more room.
• No shoe should be ‘broken’ or ‘worn in’ - if they do they are either poorly designed or poorly fitting.

6
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/05/27

Cobblers can be found at a shop in Johannesburg, called Baby Fantasy. 45 Market Street Johannesburg

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/10/20

city view mall in durban has a store called May's shoes - they stock cobblers

Posted by: Lily | 2012/11/17

I don''t know if you''re from Canada. But you are one of those classic STUPID ppolee that always think the West is everything. I''m a proud American, but I don''t think that the West is always better. I live in Southern CA, so I have a chance to interact with many asian immigrants and hear their opinions on the insurance. There are really are many role models for us in the East as well. I don''t understand why some Democrats try to glorify the Canadian system.

Reply to Lily
Posted by: podiatrist | 2012/08/22

Fitting footwear for your child

Reply to podiatrist
Posted by: Mom2Two | 2012/08/16

Cobblers and walkmates from Woolies

Reply to Mom2Two | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Micha | 2014/10/03

Dear Mom2 I am an Orthpaedic shoe Technician and am needing to send my patients with Toddlers that need supportive shoes,to places where they sell Cobblers! Do you know of shops that stock them in Durban or Cape Town or Johannesburg? Thank you for your soonest response Kind regards Micha