Posted by: christy | 2011-08-29

shivers before bowel movement

do you have any idea why one would get the shivers before bowel movement? it has happened every time for the last 2, 3 weeks especially when nature calls at night or in the evening. I start shivering uncontrollably until I go to the loo and only then the shivering stops. I have mentioned this to my doctor ( I am being treated for a possible hiatal hernia or stomach ulcer) but he thought nothing of it. I am just a bit concerned as it does not seem normal to me.
Thank you.

You should not be too concerned, as it is an autonomic reaction to the stretching of the rectum, as well as pressure on the anal sphincter. If it becomes a real problem, you should consult a gastroenterologist.