Posted by: Lauren | 2009-04-17

Howzit dr?

I read an article once saying that shivering helps burn fat... Is this true?

HI Lauren

Well, yes, I guess it is. Shivering is a reflex contraction of the muscle which is switched on when your body temperature begins to fall. Muscle contraction generates heat, which increased the temperature. It also uses energy, and that energy is ultimately coming from a mix of carbs and fat stores.

Practically speaking, however, this is pretty worthless information though, because you can't shiver yourself to weight loss. It would be very unpleasant, for one thing, and I suspect quite ineffective compared to doing exericse that causes muscle contraction anyway.