Question
Posted by: Jeremy | 2009/02/16

Shingles as HIV symptom?

I' m a 40 year old male and came down with a mild case of shingles 3 weeks ago, which was treated with Valtrex. I believe I also had it when I was a teenager. I read here that it is possibly a first symptom of HIV. I' ve tested negative twice, blood and oral tests, this past week. Is it possible to have shingles from HIV and still test negative or am I clear?

Dear Jeremy
Shingles is not a sign of HIV infection, although people with HIV can get it easier. If your tests were negative, I don't think you have to worry