Question
Posted by: emmie Maritz | 2012/09/23

shingles

My daughter was diagnosed with shingles in her troath and mouth.
Is that possible? She has little painful white sores in the back of
her throat. She is a health worker and could possibly been infected in hospital. She is being treated with antiviral medication

Yes, you can have shingles of the mouth and throat, although it is a rare occurence. It will be very uncomfortable and cause a lot of pain. Antiviral medication is the correct treatment.

Shingles is not contagious but is a post viral infection occurence after chickenpox infection. I suggest that you refer to the following link for a detailed description of this condition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingles