Posted by: Christine Law | 2009-07-05

My partner (age 45) was diagnosed with shingles on Tuesday. He first started having pain on Saturday and then the rash appeared around his chest on the Sunday. He was prescribed Zelitrex 500mg, 2 tablets 3 times a day for 7 days which he started taking Tuesday. Can you tell me if after the 7 days should he ask the doctor for a further prescription if he still has symptoms? The rash is getting better but the pain is intermittent and still just as bad really. Is this just something that should clear up on its own?
He also has an on off sore throat at the moment which he picked up in england at the end of May (we live in France). We never suffer from colds normally living here but every time without fail when we visit family in the UK we are guaranteed to catch something. Do you think that it may be that he picked up some sort of viral infection at that time which has lowered his immune system and hence the shingles?
thanks for any advice

Shingles (also a viral infection) can be triggered due to another viral infection, i.e. the flu etc. Even after the Zelitrex, he can experience a post neuralgic pain. This will have to be treated with special medication, which his doctor will prescribe if he suffers from this condition.

Please refer to the following link for a detailed explanation of Shingles:

Posted by: christine Law | 2009-07-06

Hi - I posted a question yesterday and just wondered when I could expect to receive a reply?

Reply to christine Law
Posted by: Christine Law | 2009-07-06

Reply to Christine Law