Posted by: Rachael | 2009-05-22

I took Reuteri for about a week.
It started off as an itch on my knee, then within a week my whole left leg had red patches, that were itchy and sore. Eventually I was diagnosed with shingles. After the meds, its going away now. But since this can be activated by medication or stress, is it possible this was the side-effects of the Reuteri, as i have not been on any other medication?
Many thanks.

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Rachael
It is highly unlikey to be REUTERI simply because Reuteri stays locallised in your gut, it is not absorbed into the bood stream.
No such side effect has ever been reported in the medical literature and does not exist to the best of my knowledge. It was probably the first sign of the Shingles starting!