Posted by: Brad | 2009-09-27

Shin Splits - is there a cure

Good day

I am 27 years of age and fairly healthy. During my younger years I partook in swimming, nippers, waterpolo and biathlon competitions. Ever since leaving school I have tried to run but shin splints alwys gets the better of me. I play squash every now and then but my shins whilst playing do not hurt. Only when I run for about 5 minutes do my shins start paining.

I am wanting to partake in the triathlons (small ones and slowly work my way up.), should I just '  continue to start running and maybe, just maybe my shins will get stronger to a point when they no longer hurt. Depending on your advise, I will see a specialist as I am eager to run again as I was extremely good at long distance running in school.

I suggest that you make an appointment with an orthropaedic surgeon, as well as a podiatrist, for an evaluation and a possible remedy for your problem. A physiotherapist can advise you on which exercise will be good for improving your symptoms, as well as what exercise will have a negative effect, i.e. training on a surface that has a camber.

Please refer to the following link for detailed information regarding shin splints: