Posted by: AL | 2009-03-31

Shea Butter

What is shea butter, is it of the nut family at all? as i need to know to avoid for a nut allergy.

Also what is xantham gum exactly?

I have obtained a cocoa rice drink that has 160mg of calcium per 220ml is this considered a good source of calcium as a side drink once or twice a day, also incl cheese and yogh in the diet?

Dear Al
Shea butter is extracted from the fruit of a tree called Vitellaria paradoxa that grows in parts of Africa. It is used in cosmetics and skin moisturisers. I did a search on the Website of the Allergy Association for this product as an allergen, but did not find it listed. Xanthan gum is produced by a fermentation process from carbohydrates using a microorganism called Xanthomonas campestris. Xanthan gum is used in food products as a setting or gelling agent, e.g. jellies and some sweets. I would recommend that you visit the site of the Allergy Association at: and contacting them about the shea butter if your nut allergy is severe and dangerous - rather safe than sorry. The cocoa rice drink you mention contains approx. 73 mg of calcium per 100 ml which is reasonable, but not as high as in cow's milk which contains 119 mg per 100 ml. However if you drink 300 ml of the cocoa rice drink you would be ingesting 219 mg of calcium or nearly 22% of the daily recommended allowance which is certainly a good source.