Question
Posted by: Min Pin Mommy | 2011/07/06

She cannot be caught

Hi there, wish i was as good as the dog whisperer...or had an instant " cure" .....

Ive had this female min pin (she''s soooo tiny, pedegreed) since 2 months, she''s 4 months old.

SHE RUNS and you just cant catch her. I''ve had many lap dogs in my life never a min pin...is it a min pin thing? its really bad because when we have visitors we have to always be careful she does not get a gap to run out the door or when we come home or leave careful that she does not run...if she goes ...its a mission to get her. I dont want her to get killed i lover her more than any dog i''ve ever had.

Its me and the kids running and shouting.....but the day will come that there''s a car in the road. When i stand still and call her she looks " cheeky"  like she is saying come and get me!

Having had lotsa lap dogs i have learnt what to do and what not with treats, sleeping in your bed etc..so i dont make those mistakes or have not with her...but this running is new to me.

She is very hyper...when we have guests i have to put her in her " paris hilton handbag"  so that she can''t get out...just to calm her down....after a while she''s " herself"  again and she''s calm, i dont take her out the room she''s still with us...she''s extremely playful.

What am i doing wrong please help me.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Min Pin Mum, gosh you do have your hands full (literally!). The very first you need to do is to start taking control of the situation and showing the pup that you (and every other member of the family is in charge). this is very simply done using the dogs own resources ie. food, attention, walks, toys etc. Try the following:-
1. On entering the home totally ignore the dog (hard). Dont look at it or interact with it at all. When it has either sat down or gone to do something else, call it back, ask for a sit and give a treat and the attention it wants.
2. Ignore all demanding behaviour - attention is given on your terms or not at all. Again as above, when dog has given up, call it back and then give the attention it wants.
3. Put it on a 'work to earn' regime. We all work for our living and in a dog pack all dogs have a job. Do this using all the dogs resources, food, toys etc and ask for a simple sit before giving over the resource. Using the daily feed for these exercises can work wonders.
4. Lots of walks which will supply mental and physical stimulation as well as lots of varied chew toys to entertain the dog during the day and provide stimulation.
5. Teach the Real Reloiable Recall. This is far too long to put in here, but if you contact me via my website, will be glad to send to you. The one thing you dont do when a dog runs away is run after it - thats called 'catch me if you can' and great fun (for the dog). Rather run in the opposite direction, high pitched voice, clapping hands etc and when the dog turns and runs towards you have a treat ready and reward for coming back to you.
I would also sugges that you enroll her in puppy school where you will get a lot of help with her behaviour. Good luck, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/06

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert