Question
Posted by: Momof3 | 2010/05/18

Sharp pain of left side of head &  middle of head

Hi Dr Bets

I am 50yrs old, Diabetic type 2 -on Glucophage XR and Diamicron 30mg,Pharmapress 20mg -blood pressure &  Adco-retic 5/50mg, Eltroin 0,05mg .Celebrex-200mg &  salazopyrin-en -arthritis ,plus Luvox 100mg for depression,

I saw my GP on Friday for a check up on my blood pressure. I dont have afat arm but the cuff did not fit well &  was asked to hold it closed. I ask what the reading was she said 147 /....did not give the other reading But she said she would take off 10 as the cuff did not fit properly?

I am really not happy with that or the DR for that matter. I asked for the partner in the morning but the app was changed to her as he was off earlier that day . I saw her later in the day very reluctantly as I dont feel confident in this GP.

Yesterday , I had a sharp pain 4 fingers above my ear on the left side. It throbbed for a few mins &  stopped. For the last month or so I have this delicate sensation on the top /middle of my head -no pain just this dull feeling.Now this yesterday and it happened a few times during the day. Last night as well. This morning it came &  went and while I was driving at about 11 am I had another sharp stab that i went ouch. -I was at my PC when it started and driving but also after sleeping.

I do find my left eye is more blurred due to my diabetes type 2.

The num/dull feeling on the top of my head is there as I am writing this.Can it be a head cold or my blood pressure. ? I am due to mensuration in 2 days time but not like my normal pms headache pain which I get sometimes from to much water retention.I use femolin PMS for that &  my adco-retic should help too. I notice theat my lower legs which are long &  slender normally, still swell even after they gave me the blood pressure pills &  diuretics.

Who do I see about all of this ?

Hallo Mom of 3
I won't take that blood pressure reading seriously at all. A cuff that does not fit properly does not give an accurate reading.
The dull headache you have could be due to tension headache (the muscles in your neck and upper back that attaches to the skull pulling) but the sharp stabs could be kind a migraine ( ice pick headache) that could be hormone related.
If your legs are swollen, and with having high blood pressure, one should just exclude early heart failure or kidney problems due to the diabetes, so a physician would be the right person to see for a proper evaluation.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/05/18

Hallo Mom of 3