Posted by: in pain | 2010-01-15

sharp pain lower right abdomen

Hi doc

I woke up in the middle of the night with what felt like an uncomfortably full bladder, and went to the bathroom. After I had urinated, I realised that I had quite a bit of pain in my lower abdomen, and there was also slight burning pain when I urinated. I assumed it might be the start of a UTI, so I went back to bed and finally managed to go to sleep.
When the alarm went off, I woke up in agony. The pain was so bad I could barely stand up straight. It' s towards the right, close to my pelvic bone. A little in the back as well, but mostly in the front.
Ended up going to the ER, where they tested a urine sample, did some xrays and some bloodwork.
Everything came back normal, apart from the fact that there was a bit of blood in my urine, which they said could mean almost anything. No sign of any infection or inflammation. The diagnosis was that it is most likely ovarian cysts, and I was sent home with a box of mypaid forte. The pain had all but disappeared at hospital, as they had me on a drip with some buscopan and some anti-inflammatories. Now it' s started to come back, but it' s not nearly as bad as this morning. I also have an almost constant urge to urinate, without actually producing much or any urine. I know this is a classic UTI symptom, but they ruled that out when they tested my urine.

Could this just be ovarian cysts? And if so, what does that mean? They said I should come back if it gets worse.... Should I try and follow up with my own GP, or would that not do any good?

Thank you!

I suggest that you consult your own GP and ask him/her to do a urine MC&S, to rule out a urinary tract infection. A lower abdominal ultrasound should also be done, to rule out ovarian cysts.

Posted by: In pain | 2010-01-16

The pain hadn' t gone away by Saturday morning, so I went back to the ER. Urine and blood tests were repeated and came back normal again, and the dr repeated that it was probably ovarian cysts. I was sent for a sonar to confirm this, but no cysts (or any other abnormalities for that matter) were found. The dr then said that the cyst had most probably already burst, which is why they couldn' t see anything. The pain is much better now, but not completely gone. If something had burst, shouldn' t the pain be gone by now?

Reply to In pain