Question
Posted by: Charlie | 2009/11/10

Sharp pain in head with numb tongue

Dear Dr. Bets,
I am 24 years old and have this weird sharp stab pain in my head, always from the exact same spot just above my ear that moves down into my neck. It lasts for a couple of seconds only and is followed by the left side of my tongue being paralyzed, like it is stuck to the bottom of my mouth. Then my head becomes ice-cold where the pain started and after a while starts to tingle and then it just feels like I hit my head against something. This has probably only happened about 8 times in my life but started back in primary school. The most recent attack I had was this weekend and it was so violent it felt like my head was snapped backwards and I literally started crying because it was so painful. Is this something I should be worried about?

Hallo Charlie
This is a type of migraine called "ice pick headaches" and you can take preventative medication for it if it happens often. Please discuss with your GP?
See http://headaches.about.com/od/otherheadpain/a/ice_picks.htm

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/11/10

Hallo Charlie

Reply to cyberdoc