Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2008/06/24

Sharp pain across top of head

Hi. For the past week I've been experiencing a sharp pain across the top of my head. It doesn't last long and occurs about 2 or 3 times a day. Should I be concerned? About 2 months ago I had lower abdominal pains and my doctor indicated that it was my colon. She gave me Bevispas. At the time she asked whether I was getting headaches, so not sure if these sharp pains are a side effect of that? Please advise whether I should see a neurologist.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Concerned,

You should certainly have it checked out, but seeing a neurologist alone is not nearly as good as having a multidisciplinary assessment. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, are co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed. This assessment must include examination to determine the presence of tension in the head and neck muscles.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).