Question
Posted by: mrs. g | 2012/01/27

sharp pain

Dear doc,

I''''ve been experiencing these sharp shooting pain that started in my upper right earlobe and then moved to the back of my ear. The pain comes and go and last for a second or two. The pain is sharp enough for me to jerk my head each time. I have''''nt had any sleep in a month beacause of my sick baby so I don''''t know if this has anything to do with this.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Mrs G,

It is unlikely have be anything to do with your baby. There are a number of things that can cause this type of problem, but one can only tell by doing a thorough diagnosis. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

2
Posted by: Mrs C | 2012/03/27

I suffer from a sharp lightning pain on my right side of the head above my ear lobe especially at night. It lasts for a 2 to 5 seconds then go away and comes back hours (1-3) later. It is so sharp that it wakes me up if I am sleeping.

Reply to Mrs C
Posted by: Headache expert | 2012/01/27

Dear Mrs G,

Reply to Headache expert