Posted by: Annelize | 2011-04-07

Sharp nerve pain in left arm-pit at NIGHT (every night for at least 3 weeks)

For the past 3 weeks I have been experiencing (on a daily basis) nerve pain at NIGHT which starts in my left armpit, and extends into the muscles of my left arm and left hand. It is mainly when I am lying down that I feel it, and especially when I change position, for example when I have been lying on my back and I then turn over onto my side.

What could be causing this pain? I have heard that pain in the left armpit at night could be gallbladder related, but I have no other gallbladder symptoms (no nausea or gas or anything like that). I am inclined to think that it may be MS related (I have had multiple sclerosis for at least nine years). Is this possible? Should I be concerned? I am in my mid-forties.

It is possible that it is due to MS or due to nerve irritation in the cervical/neck area. I doubt that it is gallbladder related. It is imperative to consult your doctor for a full examination and x-rays of the cervical spine. Your doctor should also evaluate if there is a flare of your MS.