Question
Posted by: Jan | 2009-07-01

Sharp bone/ spur on ball of foot

Can you tell me how successful surgery to remove or "  file"  down a bone spur/sharp bone would be? What are the chances that scar tissue would form and be as or more painful as the original bone? Currently, the "  spur"  or bone causes a great deal of pain feeling as though a large sharp stone is in the shoe and causes hard skin like a callous to form. Presently, the podiatrist has been shaving the skin and treating it with acetone. But now he tells me that there is little fat left and he can keep taking skin off. He says I have two choices an expensive orthotic which can only be used in sport shoes with a deep toe box or surgery. I would go the orthotic route, but I wear dresses and suits often and sport shoes are not exactly the right look. Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Jan

Bone spurs do not normally form on the ball of the foot, it could be that you have a dropped transverse metatarsal arch causing an uneven weight distribution on the forefoot. This will lead to thick callus formation, normally on the heads of the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals. Surgery is not usually recommended for this condition, I suggest you try to use an insole first. Its difficult to comment on individual cases without having seen it but the orthotic need not be too big or bulky for smarter shoes. The insole should do two things; support the metatarsals to lift the middle of the forefoot and to give cushioning to replace the fatty pad. This need not be expensive or bulky.

Chris