Question
Posted by: Liezel | 2012/02/03

Shar Pei with itchy, shedding skin

My adult(one year-old) female shar pei scrathes all over her body and also knaws at her skin resulting in hair-loss. What can we do to alleviate the problem?

Hi Leizel

Shar Pei’s are predisposed to a number of dermatological conditions that are puritic (itchy) and result in self trauma. These conditions include demodicosis, atopy, food hypersensitivity, primary seborrhea e.t.c. Dermatological problems can be complicated and expensive to resolve/control. It is important that you visit your local vet and discuss the matter in some depth. Your vet may suggest that you consider conducting some diagnostic tests to help identify what the problem may be. Such tests may include the feeding a novel protein diet for 10 weeks, skin scrape, woods lamp, skin biopsy’s for histopathology/culture, allergy testing e.t.c. The diagnosis obtained will help determine your Shar Pei’s treatment protocol.
I am sorry but I cannot advise on a treatment, as I am uncertain as to what the problem is.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/02/14

Hi Leizel

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Geoff | 2012/02/05

Sharpeis are allergic to beet pulp in some dog food.
Try proforma food or jock food.

Reply to Geoff