Posted by: Lolly | 2009-02-05

Shaky Hand

Hi Doc,

I am extremely worried. This week I noticed that my thumb on the left hand starts shaking. I never noticed this before. But since Monday it has happened every day. I even noticed it when I was driving this week. I have been looking at my left hand now &  I am not sure if I am imagining it, but I think my fingers are shaking ever so slightly.

Doc what could be causing this? I was thinking it may just be the position of my hand. I am really terrified. It is not severe shaking, but a very slight trembling. but I am still concerned. I am 34.

Please advise. If I go to my GP she is going to tell me she can' t see anything wrong. I also suffer with terrible neck pain. Could this be related?

Dear Lolly
A tremor can run in families, and most tremors are harmless. Some tremors can be caused by too much coffee, or stress, tiredness, low blood sugar or certain medications. I think you have to see your doctor to determine if you have neck muscle spasm with trigger points in your neck, as this may lead to pain and weakness in the arms and hands. He can then also just do a neurological examination to determine if the tremor is anything to be worried about.