Posted by: Lynne | 2008-12-19

Shaking Hands

Hi, I have noticed that my son, aged 21, has shaky hands. I noticed this about a year ago and have been watching him since. I have spoken to him about it and it has not really worried him, but lately the shaking has gotten worse and is affecting him quite badly as he is embarrassed about it. He does not drink much, does not smoke and does not take drugs. The only medication he takes is allergy medication when he needs it (Loratidine). He is quite an anxious chap - but even at home when he is relaxed, his hands shake. I am now worried and wonder what could cause this.

Dear Lynne

Thank you for visiting

I recommend that your son consults a doctor to have tests done, to exclude any underlying pathology. Usually this condition has no cause and is benign. There are medication available that can be taken to suppress the shaking but as mentioned, possible underlying pathology, i.e. dystonia or other motor neuron diseases, will have to be ruled out.

Posted by: Zexeon | 2008-12-19

I think stress, hyperthyriodism, mental ilness meds ect. The dr. would first look for physical and then mental cause........

Reply to Zexeon