Question
Posted by: CP | 2010-05-18

Shaking &  sweating

I have had a few incidents lately that come on very quickly and feel like I would imagine a sudden blood pressure drop. I feel light-headed, shaky and start sweating a lot in my back and neck. I know I have to get food in quickly and as soon as I have something to eat I feel okay again within a couple of minutes. I know I usually have low blood pressure but I wonder if these symptoms relate to blood sugar in any way? I usually try eat small amounts throughout the day but these seem occur when I haven t eaten in a while. Please advise. Thank you.

Dear CP
From the symptoms you describe, it is very possible that you may be suffering from either hypoglycaemia or insulin resistance. It is important to obtain a medical diagnosis so that you can receive the correct treatment and diet for the specific condition you may have. Please ask your gp to test your blood glucose and insulin levels to see if you have hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) or insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes. If you test positive for any one of these conditions then it is essential for you to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance, etc and other conditions such as the low bp, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet'nFood' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. While you are on the 'Diet'nFood' site also do a Search using 'Hypoglycaemia' to read up about this condition.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-05-19

Dear CP