Question
Posted by: Sam | 2009/03/20

Sexual Abuse

Hi, after 20 years of trying to deal with the effects childhood sexual abuse, i feel i need some expert help and advice.

Do you know of any specialized therapists in the Durban area?
My medical aid wont pay for sessions of this sort, is there anything you can recommend?

I very deliberately do NOT recommend specialized therapists in this particular area ( abuse, that is, nor Durban !) because far too many of them have their own bes in the bonnet, their own obsessions they work out through their patients, their own hard-line agenda, and their own rigid expectations which they train you to meet. Just see any good GENERAL psychotherapist, such as a CBT therapist, who will concentrate on your actual current problems, rather than becoming seduced into wasting too much time trawling through your past, a method which has been shown to be unhelpful sometimes very unhelpful.
Your medical aid, through negligence, lack of caring, or realistic suspicions of some of the quack "therapies" on offer, may no agree to pay for therapy specifically for late effects of child abuse. But surely you want this because you have specific CURRENT problem you believe may be relaed to the prior abuse, problems like Depression, behaviour problems, whatever --- and any competent medical aid ought to approve therapy for THOSE problems. ANd they should prefer theraies like CBT which have heavy-weight good scientific evidence that they are effective, and which also don't need to last very long, thus being ost-effective, unlike the wishy washy analytically-based therapies which don't work, last forever, and often make things worse.

1
Posted by: PINI | 2009/03/20

BE STRONG ANGEL. YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS DIFFICULT CHAPTER IN YOUR LIFE WITH TIME.

I WAS MOLESTED BY MY OWN MOTHER..

SHE DIEID WHICH MADE ME EVEN ANGRIER.
BUT TALKING ABOUT IT LIFTS THE LOAD OFF STEP BY STEP

Reply to PINI