Posted by: Anna | 2008-11-19

Sexual Abuse

Dear Doc
I have been sexually abused once as a child a year before I went to primary school. I have never told anyone not even my family about it. Because I feel so guilty and angry towards myself, I feel as if I have participate in it. Over the years I push it out of my mind as if it never happened and even convince myself that it was maybe a dream or my mind is playing games with me but lately I keep on thinking about it. And I cannot ever tell my Mom because I dont want to hurt her. And I am feeling so ashamed about it. And I am scared that this will affect my whole life as I can' t stop thinking about it and it' s like it happened just yesterday. And everytime I see my abuser, I feel so ashame but also remind myself that He cannot do it to me because I am grown up now. How can I get over this?

Abuse of a child is the fault of the abuser, not the child. That it is still pre-occupying you now is most unfortunate. There's nothing to blame yourself for or feel ashamed of. You need to see a good local psychologist / counsellor to talk this through and work through it so as to be free to enjoy the rest of your life, without allowing recollections of the abuser to continue to harrass you. This can be achieved, and you would be much happier for doing so

Posted by: heartbroken | 2009-02-18

My girlfriend, 16 years old, recently confessed to me that she has been sexually abused since she was 5 years old by her father. As she is still living with both her parents this was difficult for me to understand and believe. I was overwhelmed by emotions and did not know how to react. She told me that it was still going on and that shocked me even more. i wanted to report her dad immediately but she did' nt want me to and threatened to never speak to me again. As I love her with all my heart i want to help her to stop this and get over it. I told her that if she was not going to stop it, I will and that it might get ugly. What do i do? I love her so much and do not want this to come between us.

Reply to heartbroken
Posted by: jane | 2008-11-21

let me tell you something doll, i have experienced that and its going to kill you not seeking help. i became worse by using sex to get men to pay for what has happened to me, it turned out now that i am 30 i only hurt myself in the end. i became so depressed used alcohol to forget, now im not drinking anymore because i got help and the best way is to face your fears, i know its not easy but go out there and face this man, your relationships will suffer and most importantly you. people like that dont deserve to be happy.i feel for you im so sorry that it has happened to you. also try keeping a secret diary to wright your feelings down it works, i do it, and after all these years confronting my problem at first i felt like i was in a dark hole but now i feel free, free, free nothing better than that, theres nothing better then feeling a relieve, if your mom loves you she will support you, if she doesnt seek for alternative help, a teacher, a pastor or someone. i pray for you

Reply to jane
Posted by: SR | 2008-11-20

Consult with peers on the Sexual Abuse Forum. They will assist you.

Reply to SR