Question
Posted by: Matt | 2010/03/10

sexomnia

Hi Doc,

Over the last 6 - 8 months, i have apparently been suffering from Sexomnia.
The first time i found out about this was in December when my girlfriend, we live together, woke me up asking what I was doing.
Apparently, i have been mastubating in my sleep for some time now. I have no recollection of this what so ever.
I was also told that this was not the first time this has happened.
I have been working under very stressful conditions on a project in Angola for the last year.
Can this be a result of the stress? And, is there anything i can do to stop this.
It is highly embarassing and i am to nervous to even go on holidays with family and friends.

Any answers would be welcomed to this embarassing situation.

Thanks,

Matt

Expert ImageSleep Expert

This is roughly equivalent to sleepwalking - actions that are being done without conscious control. It tends to occur in a particular part of sleep, and it is possible to use medications which can suppress that part of sleep, and thus suppress unwanted behaviours. It should probably best be considered a normal variant, but as it is so embarrassing, you might want to see a sleep doctor to try and find some medication which will help without causing side-effects.

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2010/03/11

Reply to Sleep expert