Question
Posted by: Suzie | 2010/02/14

Sexdrive

I' m a 30somethng woman with a low sexdrive. It wasn' t always so! I' m not into seafood. I don' t react well to anny products that I' ve tried. Is there anny other food groups that can help?

Dear Suzie
You can discuss your low sex drive with your dr or gynaecologist who may be able to prescribe hormone treatment for this problem. Also ask the dr or gynae to give you a general medical checkup just to make sure that you are not suffering from an underlying physical complaint that suppresses your sex drive (e.g. underactive thyroid, iron deficiency anaemia, etc). From a dietary point of view, the basic principles of eating a well balanced diet that contains all the food groups to prevent deficiencies. Such a diet would consist of plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (at least 5-7 portions a day), lean meat, fish (3-4 times a week) and eggs (4 per week), plus 3 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese a day, whole, unsifted grains and cereals (3-4 servings), legumes (cooked or canned dry beans, peas or lentils or soya) as often as possible, and poly- or monounsaturated oils or margarine (olive oil, tub marg, etc) (3 tablespoons a day) to provide all the nutrients the body requires for good health. If you eat this type of diet you will not really need to take any vitamin or mineral supplements, but if you feel that you are not getting sufficient vitamins and minerals from your diet (i.e. if you are on an unbalanced diet), then it may help to take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum or Supradyn Forte for a month or so.
Stress, anxiety and depression can also suppress the sex drive, so discuss these aspects with the dr(s) when you go for your checkup.
I do hope that you can pinpoint what is suppressing your sex drive and experience an improvement.

1

Dear Suzie