Question
Posted by: Q | 2009-10-12

Sex while she is on her Period

Hi, I have been having sex with my partner but she doesn’ t like me to use condoms, so we have sex without the use of a condom just after her period (not during) period. The thing for me is that she likes it when I ejaculate inside of her but I have been told that after a woman’ s cycle or when the cycle begins, it is safe for one to ejaculate inside and not run the risk of her falling pregnant?

Everyone has their own advice and myths when it comes to this so please clear these questions for me.

My question to you is more about what is true when it comes to safe sex and sex without a condom after her period. Here are my questions that i would like answered:

1)I read that sperm can stay alive in a female for up to 1week, is this true?

2) After a woman' s period her ovaries start producing new eggs, but there is very little to no chance of falling pregnant during this time?

3) How long, how many days, is it safe to have unprotected sex before one runs the risk of getting your girlfriend pregnant, considering that sperm can live for up to 1 week inside of a girl?

4) If we do practice sex without a condom, what spermiceds can we use to reduce/stop the risk of her falling pregnant?

5) what oral contraceptives can I take, if any.

My girlfriend is on the pill, but as we all know the pill not 100% safe.

My biggest concern is the fact that we don’ t use protection for 1 week after her period and this I have been told is ok due to there being a think lining and no egg present. Can you please tell me if what I have been told by friends it true of myth?

I will try to respond to each, but advise you also to repost your questions to the gynaecologist who specialises in female reproductive health (go to Health 24 home page and look up the 'gynaedoc' on the list of experts).

1. Sperm can live up to 5 days in the right conditions, so if the menstrual cycle is just beginning, there is a chance that a mature egg could be making it's way up the fallopian tubes during that period. The ovulation cycle is also not always that predictable, so the safe response is that there is always a risk if you are not protecting yourselves...but if she is on the pill, and takes this reliably, then it is a good prophylactic. The safest is always to use a condom.
2. The chance is less when ovulation has not yet taken place, but one cannot say that there is no risk! A woman does not produce new 'eggs'/ova; all her ova that will mature are already there from birth, she just has one (or sometimes more) develop with each menstrual cycle.
3. It

4
Posted by: Rob | 2009-10-12

Yes, it stays alive in her body for 7 days hence it can make fall preggie....

Reply to Rob
Posted by: Q | 2009-10-12

Great, thanks for the info. We are both STD free and are HIV neg as well. I agree that one should make sure of his/her status before having sex.

Is it true that sperm can stay active and alive for up to 1 week?

Thanks once again

Reply to Q
Posted by: Rob | 2009-10-12

Well it is possible for her to fall preg while on her period but rare. It normaly takes 8 to 12 day for a woman to ovulate and in that time its normally not possible for her to fall preg but considering that she' s on a pill i don' t think you should be worried however you need to worry about other factors such as STDs or HIV if you both not tested for those.

Reply to Rob
Posted by: Sexologist | 2009-10-12

3. It

Reply to Sexologist