Posted by: Mary | 2009-04-09

sex problem

since we discover we r hiv + a month ago we cant haave sexual intercourse me and my hubby, I am 7 months pregnant, we tried to use a condom last week for the first time but it didnt work we decided to stop..... I am so stressed cos I dont know for how how long we going to feel this way....... since we can never sleep without a condom again...... I am on medication and he is not cos his cd 4 count is 300

please do not give up on using condoms - through a bit of practice, putting on a condom does not need to be a hard task nor does it need to impact on the sex act.

Posted by: korie | 2009-04-09

It' s a very serious situation you found yourselves in. You can derive this from the number of responses you get on this forum. After reading this, I also decided to switch over to something else as quickly as possible. However, I asked myself a question that if I don' t at least share my stupid advice with you, who else will then do that?? That' s why I' m giving you this stupid reply: HIV on treatment is more virulent than the HIV untreated. Should the condom usage fail for whatever reason, then there is a possibility of reinfection with another strain of the virus - that risk is for both of you. The moment there is a reinfection with a new strain of the virus, then there is a high probability of developing a drug resistant HIVirus. I would really appreciate if the health practitioners and HIV activists start sheding more light on these topics: virulence, new viral strain, reinfection and drug resistance of the virus. This will keep those infected with the virus more informed and give them more educated options and decisions when it comes to matters pertaining to sexual intercourse and the modalities involved. I would however encourage you to post your question at an HIV Peer forum, also on Health24. You might get better expert advice there. Good luck and take care.........

Reply to korie