Question

Sex during preterm labor

Hi Doc,

I feel quite silly asking this question but my husband wont have sex with me until i get an answer.

I am 36 weeks pregnant, in preterm term labour - cervix is very soft and about 3cm diliated. When my gynae does a physical exam she says the baby is sitting very low and she can feel her head. My husband is now worried that he might feel or poke the baby''s head during sex. Could this happen?

If you are 3 cm dilated, the main problem with having sex would be introduction of infection. Your husband might feel the baby's head. All in all, probably best to wait till after the baby is born.

1