Question
Posted by: Fiona | 2010/08/25

Sex

My daughter is only 9 years old but she is growing up very quickly and those teen years are approaching fast. I found out last night that she may know more about sex than I thought because there is a lot of talk between her friends. I want to maintain an open relationship with her that I didn''t have with my Mom but I don''t know how. I want her to know the facts and not what her friends think they know? Please give me pointers on how to approach the subject?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Fiona,

Firstly, it would be useful to find out if she has had any sex education at school so that you are aware of a good starting point. There are a number of good books out there for children, and it is often a good approach to let your daughter read the book and then the two of you talk about it afterwards including any questions she might have.

If your daughters school has a school counsellor they would also be someone to ask advice about age-appropriate talks and reading material.

1
Posted by: Teen expert | 2010/08/27

Hi Fiona,

Reply to Teen expert