Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2010-03-30

Severe sinus heachaches during pregnancy

Dear ENT

I am now 15 weeks pregnant (third time) and am constantly suffering from sinus headaches which range from moderate to severe. The moderate headaches are relieved by a decongestant spray, and or saline plus paracetamol. Sometimes 1 Synap Forte or 1 Synap + 1 panado. Severe headaches have landed me on intravenous paracetamol etc twice now, and they cause vomiting as well. If I catch it in time 2 Synap Fortes do the job. I just feel that I can''t continue taking so many meds during my pregnancy. Its at least twice a week. My gynae is ok with the intermittant use of Synap Forte, but I''m concerned. I''ve been for physio, but its not feasible to continue indefinately due to the cost. Can you please suggest anything else?? o, I am using Nasonex daily.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Racoon

The cause for your headaches is not clear, but pregnancy does cause nasal congestion due to hormonal changes. An ENT examination will be helpful to exclude a nasal cause, but this is very rare.
You should check with your Gynae first, but it may be helpful to use your nasal spray twice daily, with two sprays in each nostril (this comes to eight sprays ). In this dose, no systemic absorbtion occurs, but you should first check this with your doctor.