Posted by: Scared | 2009-03-20

Severe panic attacks and lexamil

I was recently diagnosed with severe panic attacks (again).

I used to have panic attacks and had agoraphobia and I went onto Serlife for one year and then weaned myself off them with the help of my doctor.

I have been going through a stressful period over the last 6 months and was hit with my first panic attack in ages 2 weeks ago. I knew what it was and I was able to calm myself down. It worried me a bit but I thought I would have them now and then. After that i had at least 2 a day everyday and got only 2hrs of sleep per night.

Then that weekend (last weekend) I had 10 in one day - as soon as one ended and I thought I was okay the next one hit. I was drained and I feel emotionaly destroyed. I worked so hard to get back to some sense of normalcy (if thats even a word) and I feel like Im back where I started and have to start all over again.

I went to the doctor and she put me on Lexamil 10mg. This seems to have helped a bit, but I was only given 10 tablets to start out and I wasnt given any information. Could you tell me more about this medication and about its side effects?

Posted by: Real Cybershrink | 2009-03-21

(Yes, it' s really Cybershrink, but I' m responding during my shopping expedition, from a Telkom store ).
OK, so the Panic Disorder has re-awakened. This can happen. But the number now occurring is unusually frequent, and needs early attention from your shrink. And if you don' t have a shrink, you probably need one. Exhausting indeed, and normalcy is an excellent word.
Lexamil is also an antidepressant, and can help, though it wouldn' t be my first choice for a situation like this. Presumably the idea behind giving you only 10 tablets was to see whether it suited you, with a view to changing to something else if it didn' t.
A psychiatrist could consider a wider range of meds, and also should be able to provide or refer you to someone who can provide, CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, which can be highly effective in helping you to regain control of the panics, and of the underlying stress itself.

Reply to Real Cybershrink