Posted by: Vusi Radebe | 2011-08-17

severe pain

Hi Dr my sister suffers from severe pain in the right hand and has tried every medical tablets prescibbed by doctors and Xrays and no conclusive results and cause of this she cannot sleep at night and needs to hold her fingers very tight together when sleeping.

I suggest that your sister consults an orthopaedic surgeon for an examination of her hand. It is possible that she is suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome. In severe cases, medication will definately not be effective and the only alternative is surgery, where the space of the carpal tunnel is increased to alleviate pressure on the medial nerve.

Please refer to the following link for detailed information about carpal tunnel syndrome: