Question
Posted by: Ang | 2010/11/22

Severe morning sickness

I am 8 weeks pregnant with my second baby, and I have severe morning sickness. I vomit almost everything out. With my first baby I drank Ensure shakes every 2-3 hours and this continued until I was 6 months pregnant. I have tried the shakes this time round, however, even they are coming out. I know that sometimes a stuffy room or food odours are making me vomit, but I''m getting worried because I''m not getting any liquids in (I even vomit out water) and since before I founf out I''m pregnant until now, I have lost 6 kgs (I am very overweight and started at 113kg).
I''m seeing a new gynae later in the week, but is there anything I can do until then.

Try to drink fluids. If you can't your doctor may need to admot you for a while to keep you hydrated. Medications to stop the vomiting can be used as well, but these need a presecription.

3
Posted by: Purple | 2010/11/24

I also suffer from severe vomiting and have had it in both my pregnancies.

Try taking Emex or Vomifene (both available over the counter) until you can see your new gynae and be put on something that will actually work. These won''t stop the vomiting (they only do so with mild vomiting) but they might give you a vomit free patch at some point during the day. Unfortunately they won''t help with the nausea.

Try sucking on sweets like sparkles and sip your water very slowly to try and get a little in.

If you have lost weight already from the vomiting and you can''t keep liquids or anything down, you should probably go and see your GP as if you are dehydrated (dangerous for you and the baby) they can put you on a drip and might also be able to give you an injection for the vomiting which might give you a day or two''s break from the vomiting.
I found sometimes that a glass of milk in the morning and a banana helped a bit - but that is only if you manage to keep it down.
I vomited from the second my eyes opened, all the way to work (in plastic packets on the side of the road), at work, then had a bit of a gap at lunch time then it started again at about 3pm and went on until about 10pm.

If you can nibble on a marie biscuit try to do that and try and eat if at all possible as this does help a little with the nausea while you are busy eating.
Ask someone else to do the cooking so that you don''t have to smell the cooking smells.

Personally I found that my nausea was constant and although smeels and smoke and not eating constantly did worsen it, it wasn''t caused by those things, it was just present. I started with bad nausea at 6 weeks (on the dot) and then began vomiting at 8 weeks and that stopped at 11 weeks and the nausea stopped at 14 weeks.

Try to keep a record of how severe the vomiting is for your new gynae. There are meds that you can be put on but they are very expensive. I took them and they do stop the vomiting, and lessen the nausea a lot though don''t take it away completely - but enough that you can function and probably just experience the queasiness that most people describe as pregnancy nausea. My medical aid did pay for it out of our savings, but it depleted our savings very quickly and the last two weeks supply of it we had to buy ourselves, however, as my husband said, it was well worth it.

I didn''t have this offered to me in my first pregnancy and managed to battle through by dripping water and energade onto my tongue with a syringe and eating bananas. I took vomifene which helped a little in my first pregnancy, and also essentiale (the hangover pills) as they are vitamin B and it is sometimes a vitamin B deficiency that can be a contributing factor to the vomiting. Give it a try if you like.
I found that ginger worked up until I started vomiting when it didn''t make any difference at all.
Something else that helps a little is to stay off all fried food as fatty foods can contribute to the vomiting as well.
These things aren''t going to stop the vomiting, but they can ease things off a little.

Good luck. I really feel for you as a fellow sufferer. I''m 16 weeks now and thankfully I" m vomit and nausea free.
Perhaps you can try to bring your gynae appointment forward, explain to the receptionist how much you are vomiting and she will realise the dehydration problems. Your GP might also be able to get your appointment brought forward. The GP is unlikely to prescribe you the medicine that will really help with vomiting as they are a bit nervous to and not as up to date on these things as a specialist such as a gynae.

Reply to Purple