Question
Posted by: Gawa | 2011-01-30

severe lower abdominal pain

Dear GynaeDoc

I am a 50 year old female, with regular monthly menstrual flow.
After my last cycle ended, I developed a sharp pain on my right lower abdomen.
My GP suspected a kidney stone, but an ultrasound scan proved negative, but revealed a cyst on my right ovary of 28mm.

The pain was an excruciating, sharp-like pain and was admitted to hospital. Strong pain-killers (Tramadol + Buscopan Co + paracetamol) refused to reduce the pain (neg for cancers and other gynae problems eg fibroids etc)
No surgery was recommended. I was put on Estrofem (although not menopausal) plus Provera (to start a week later), but the pain got worse.

After discharge (5 days in hospital), after a week on the meds, I went to see another gynae at a different private hosp, an she did another u/s. The cyst was now 11mm, but the pain was still very significant.
The gynae''s conclusion was that the cyst could''nt have caused the pain.

My question: Can a cyst of 28mm cause so much pain or should
another diagnosis be sought.

I don't think that a small cyst such as you have would cause a severe degree of pain. Another diagnosis should be sought.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-01-31