Question
Posted by: pat | 2011-07-21

severe heartburn

woke up,severe heartburn for 1 hour,throat painful

Pat

If this is an isolated incidence, it could be due to the meal you had the night before. Reflux does occur, especially after a large meal or a meal containing a lot of spices and lie down soon after the meal. You can use Gaviscon Advanced before meals to prevent reflux. If the reflux persists after meals, consult your doctor for a referral to have a gastroscopy done.

1
Posted by: Joanne | 2011-07-23

Please can you tell me what the law in S.A. is when someone with a known chronic condition dies at home? My 85 year old father was not well and the G.P. discovered my dad had an extremely low heart beat. We were due to see a cardiologist a few days later to arrange to have a pace maker inserted.
My father was home with me, was drinking his favourite cup of coffee with a slice of cake and the next moment the cup fell out of his hand and he was just ''gone.''
I phoned the paramedics who declared that he had passed away when they arrived minutes later at my home.

The undertaker said my mom *had* to pay R1000 over and above the funeral costs as it was law that an autopsy was done if someone has passed away at home.

A nursing sister in the complex where i work says that the funeral parlour ''robbed'' my mom as there was no need for an autopsy.

My mother who lives with me and is now 90 is very frail, has light Parkinsons and starting with signs of dementia but she gets very anxious that when one day she passes away that she too will be ''cut open'' as she sees it.

Please can you clarify for me what the laws are exactly - if the day comes that Mom does pass away - should I call a different funeral parlour or is it the law that they *have* to do an autopsy.

Sorry for the length of this but I would really appreciate your medical advice.

Reply to Joanne