Question
Posted by: Slish | 2011-11-24

Severe Headaches vs Menstruation

Dear Doc

Every month 2 or 3 days before my periods, I suffer from severe headaches. During this period I am unable to go on with my daily routines, I can''t even drive as I''d feel like being in a dark place and close my eyes all the time, even strong pain killers like myprodol don''t help , but the moment I start having my periods the headache gets better. I can live with period pains but need something to get rid of these headaches. This problem only started 2yrs ago after i had my little daughter and I am 33years old. PLS HELP...

Slish

These headaches are due to hormonal changes before menstruation. There is treatment available but you will have to consult a doctor for an examination and prescription treatment.

2
Posted by: Slish | 2011-11-24

Thanks Sue

Reply to Slish
Posted by: Sue | 2011-11-24

Period realted headaches are extremely common with women. Some women experience the most debilitating migraines and headaches just before or during their period. It is to do with the fluctuating oestrogen levels. Their isn''t really a cure for this - the reason the headaches stop is because your oestrogen levels balance again.
I get the most debilitation migraines for the first 2-5 days of my period, and find that Adcodol works fairly well most of the time. I saw an article that mentioned taking NSAIDS a day or two before you expect the headache to come on, for the duration that you would normally get the headache / migraine. I havent tried this, but it might help.

Reply to Sue