Question
Posted by: Sis | 2012/04/06

Severe headache and back pain

I have a severe headache and back pain which is terrible for close to 2 months.

I started by bleeding heavily a week after my periods, then followed by the severe headache and lower back pain, and feeling weak to the extend that I could not walk for a week.

I have seen a number of Drs but none have told me the real cause.Who can I see?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Sis,

Although I am only the headache expert, there is often a link between headaches and back pain. My suggestion therefore is to have the headache treated, and see whether that has a positive effect on the back pain. To get to the root of the headache problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2012/04/08

Dear Sis,

Reply to Headache expert